Mr Zubairy is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeom at the East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust as since 2002. He is Co clinical Director and lead for the East Lancashire Foot & Ankle unit.
Curriculum Vitae and Continuous Professional development
- Qualified in 1988
- Basic Surgical Training in the Republic of Ireland
- Higher Surgical Training (Specialist Registrar) in the Mersey rotational training scheme. Liverpool. (6 years)
- Fellowship training. Wirral Hospitals NHS Trust
- Traveling Fellowships to specialized centres in the USA and Belgium. 2003
- BOFAS traveling fellow 2004
Membership of professional organizations:
- British Medical Association. (BMA)
- British Orthopaedic Association. (BOA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. (AAOS)
- British Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (BOFAS)
- Mersey Foot Group. (MFG)
- Lancashire Ankle & Foot Forum. (LAFF)
- Medical Defense Union.(MDU)
- AO UK Faculty Member. (AO UK)
- Faculty on other national courses
- Royal College of Surgeons' examiner for MRCS and FRCS (Tr & Orth)
- Peer reviewer for several Indexed orthopaedic Journals
- BOA Education & Revalidation committee member
- Member Association of study of medical education (ASME)
- Honorary Senior clinical lecturer, UCLAN
- Studying for Certificate in Medical Education. EdgeHill University
Mr Aamir Zubairy qualified in 1988 from University of Karachi. He had his internship and basic surgical training in the Republic of Ireland. He completed surgical fellowship (FRCS) in 1994. He has recently been awarded Fellowship of The Royal College of Surgeon of England. (FRCSE)
His Orthopaedic higher surgical training was in the Mersey region (Liverpool) at SpR grade for 6 years leading to CCST (Certificate of completion of Specialist Training). He completed FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth) in 2001. He then did Fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery at the Wirral Hospitals in Liverpool. He was awarded an AO trauma Fellowship in the USA with Prof James Hughes.
Mr Zubairy was awarded BOFAS travelling fellowship to USA with Dr. James Brodsky and to Belgium with Prof Greta Dereymaeker. He has learnt ankle & foot arthroscopic techniques with Prof Nick Van Dijk in Amsterdam.
He completed specialist orthopaedic training in 2002 and was appointed as NHS consultant at the East Lancashire NHS Trust where he developed his practice as an orthopaedic surgeon with special interest in lower limb, adult foot and ankle disorders. He now leads a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals providing care for routine and complex foot and ankle disorders along with trauma and general orthopaedics. He teaches on several national courses and has developed a multidisciplinary course locally that has been running very successfully for the past 5 years.
His research interests include post operative pain relief, ankle fractures and arthritis, 1st MTP joint replacement, informed consent, ankle fractures, musculoskeletal ultrasound and outcome measures. His work has been widely published in peer reviewed journals and has been presented world wide in international meetings. He has RCT studies in progress and also contributes to NIHR portfolio studies.
His clinical interests are minimally invasive surgery (MIS), arthroscopic foot & ankle surgery, total ankle replacement and Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT) for tendinopathies.
He is education lead for the department of trauma & orthopaedics. He is educational supervisor and trainer for;
- medical students for SSM and Project Options. University examiner for OSCE
- foundation year (FY I & II) doctors including patient safety lessons learnt facilitator
- Core trainees (CT)
- speciality trainee registrars and fellows in foot & ankle surgery (ST)
- MRCS and FRCS (Tr & Orth) examiner
Know More About Aamir I Zubairy