All Surgery of the Hand and Wrist – Trauma, Post-traumatic Reconstruction, Arthritis, Dupuytren’s Disease, Nerve and Tumour Surgery.
Qualifications/Post graduate training
- 1980 MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) University of Auckland
- 1988 FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1988 completed 12 month postgraduate Fellowship in Orthopaedic and Hand Surgery (Scotland)
- 1989 completed 12 month postgraduate Fellowship in Hand Surgery (Australia)
- 1995 completed 12 month sabbatical training in Plastic Surgery of the Hand
- Clinical Leader of the Auckland Regional Hand Service
- President of the New Zealand Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Fellowship Director of the Auckland Regional Hand Service Fellowship Program
- Consultant Hand Surgeon Middlemore Hospital 1996 – present
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon Middlemore Hospital 1990 -1994
- First woman in Australasia, to qualify as an Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a Hand and Wrist Surgeon, with 20 years experience in public and private practice.
I am committed to the speciality of Hand Surgery in New Zealand in both my public and private clinical practice. I am particularly interested in the development and expansion of the Hand Service in Auckland and the teaching of young Hand surgeons.
Current Membership of Professional/other Bodies:
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Member of New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
- Member of New Zealand Hand Society
- Associate Member of Australian Hand Surgery Society
Know More About Dr. Karen Smith